Thursday, January 3, 2013

Meet MIB's 2013 Employee of the Year, Sandra Williams.

When considering a nominee for the Employee of the Year Award, Mississippi Industries for the Blind's CEO Mike Chew says, "We look for a model employee, one with a positive attitude, good teamwork, a strong work ethic, and someone who will do whatever is needed to do to get the job done."  

And that person for 2013 is Sandra Williams.


Sandra Williams began work as a shift manager for Taco Bell in her hometown of Jackson, MS; however, when only 26 years old, Sandra began to lose her sight from irreparable optic nerve damage caused by tumors.  Because of this, she was not able to keep her job.

After attending sessions at Mississippi's rehabilitation center for the blind and visually impaired, Addie McBryde, Sandra was introduced to possible job opportunities with Mississippi Industries for the Blind.  Finally, in September of 1990, Sandra came to MIB as a full-time employee.  She has been with the company ever since, sewing anything from sweatshirts, to flags, to one of MIB's current products--barracks bags for the U.S. military.

When asked what her employment with Mississippi Industries for the Blind has meant to her she said, "Before I lost my sight, I hadn't heard of Mississippi Industries for the Blind.  I thought I'd just be sitting at home.  But then I heard about MIB, and I knew I had a place to go.  I can go to work, and that has been very important to me.  They also supply me with the equipment I need to get my job done, and through MIB I also have easy access to other low vision products."

Sandra'a co-workers and friends all agree that she is well-deserving of the MIB Employee of the Year award.  Pat Jones, a co-worker of Sandra's for the past ten years, described her as quiet but reliable.  "She's here every day--rain, sleet, or snow.  Something's really got to be wrong for her not to be here."  Sandra's dependability is also noticed by administrative staff, especially CEO Mike Chew.  "Sandra is always diligently working," says Mike.  "She does it right, is always positive, has a can-do attitude and happy demeanor, and sets the tone for the rest of the [barracks bags] department.  She's the kind of person we look to reward."

No matter who you ask, it's clear that Sandra is a well-rounded individual with whom Mississippi Industries for the Blind is very proud to call their 2013 Employee of the Year!

Congrats, Sandra!

No comments:

Post a Comment